Friday, September 4, 2009

Artist Statement

Beyond the vanity of self-expression, Art is also a unification of differentiated consciousness through creation and contemplation. With this notion, Art for me is a natural means of communicating personal convictions and observations of the contemporary human condition and also functions as a vehicle of inquiry into its conundrum.
As my primary subject matter is anthropological, human forms or objects of anthropomorphic quality are predominant in my works. Oil painting is my preferred medium with its fluid malleability and versatile color palette that renders the tactility of forms more effectively for me.
Notwithstanding the importance of the subject matter itself, I believe an artist’s gestural approach to painting is just as crucial in conveying the force of the image. In this respect, I am partial to bold brushstrokes painted in impasto, for its textural versatility and sculptural attributes that allow the eye to dance freely with the movement of paint on the canvas.
Without a proper art education, apart from the guidance of MyArtSpace, my aesthetic sensibilities are also cultivated by browsing the works of renowned contemporary figure painters. Other than my admiration for their individual idioms of expression, Lucian Freud’s unrelenting attention to detail, Francis Bacon’s devotion to the raw image and Edvard Munch’s lurid colors of existentialist anxieties have also largely influenced my artistic journey.Besides visual research, I am also an avid reader of existentialist philosophy which I believe has a profound effect on the themes investigated in my paintings. I work with the conviction that eventually, my oeuvre of artwork would be more than just an illustrative autobiographical diary of my emotional experiences but also as a device that inspires self contemplation and criticality in the consciousnesses of both society and the individual. It is important that my art transcends benign illustration and escape decorative notions. Ultimately, my art should succeed in painting the invisible forces of life and humanity, its imagery seizing the viewer like a violent cough that convulses the body and reverberates in his consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment