Thursday, September 3, 2009

Oil Portrait #4 : Self Portrait (II)

(H) 40cm X (B) 50cm

Year 2009

Artist's Inspiration:
This portrait is an instinctive reaction to salvage myself from the state of oppression that I felt was suffocating me, having realized that for the most of my life, it has been arranged to oblige, hardly anything conducted out of self volition could be documented about my quotidian existence thus far in my actions and decisions as an individual. However, I felt helpless to change things, acknowledging my limits as a mere statistic, as much as my dependence on the working principles of society, in spite of my dissatisfaction. This ambivalence gnawed at my heart like worms burrowing through it. The disgust I felt for myself gave form to this vengeful attitude in the portrait, an explosion of bestial energy that dissipate in the act of chewing on the bloody rag of a heart, enshrouded in a miasma of flaming hatred. I felt remorseful though, after the act of painting this portrait, because in some way I felt like I have selfishly violated art, degenerating it to a mere vent for my perverse tantrums.

No comments:

Post a Comment