Thursday, September 3, 2009

Oil Portrait # 3: Self Portrait (I)

(H) 60cm x (B) 50cm
Year 2009

Artist's Inspiration:
This self portrait was done during a period of intense introspection. The process of self reflection was a strong impetus behind this project as I contemplated the short history of my existence, the origins of my identity, the roots of my individuality, the progress of my emotional development and my current constitution. There was a deep sense of emotional upheaval, even as I immersed deeper in the realization that there is nothing I could truly call my own. I felt disoriented, ex-communicated and lost from the emptiness that stared back at me like a dark abyss as I looked inwards. Hence, the detached head to convey a sensation of one having lost his bearings, the duality of dark crimson and bright orange tones to illustrate the transition from hope to despair, the face carved out in shreds of sickly colors to emphasize this brutal self-confrontation. However, at the end of the work, somehow my spirit felt rejuvenated and inspired, and I felt an intense urge to redeem the portrait from utter desolation and started swiping thick green hues in illogical and unstructured strokes by the side to articulate this nascent but inexplicable breath of renewed hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment